Sunday, October 15, 2006

weak in the knees


OK, ok...

I admit it. I got a little weak in the knees but in a very manly way.... I got to meet Tim Holtz. He happily signed my copy of his books and I felt a little funny. The first time I met Cathy Z. I immediately felt like I met an old friend. Tim was something different because he does artwork that I cannot do in any form and I admire that. I came over to our display at the Chatterbox ( Who Rocks? Chatterbox Rox! ) booth ans showed Rebecca. She looked at the signature and gave me a look of loathing. YOU SUCK was the only thing able to make it out of her lips. I immediately ran her and Nate over to where Tim was and Rebecca had our picture taken with him to comemmorate. I'm glad she did.



I am seriously amazed at how open, friendly and gracious everyone was that I met at Memory Trends. I am a complete outsider to scrapbooking and was welcomed in like a comrade in arms. We wouldn't have even made it to the convention if it wasn't for Mike and Melody from Chatterbox who gave up a section of their booth and a table for us to get the word out about the project. They were EXTREMELY cool and I can't say enough good stuff about their group. Everyone in the booth was all from the main office and held different positions in the company but hit the road to meet the public when it came time for the show. They were a freaky, lovely, warm hearted bunch that Nate, Rebecca and I instantly clicked with. We lucked out. I have to admit I was excited and inspired talking with Mel about how she started in the scrapbooking business with a book and then went on to build Chatterbox. She had the guts to just go for it and it made me feel like takming chances was all worth it because yu just never know how things will turn out.

Another luck out situation was having an article I wrote a couple moths ago for Memory Makers magazine hit on page 16 of the December issue which was given away at the F&W publications booth. We could point people over to their display to score a free copy with our stuff in it. I'm really happy and blessed that driving 30 hours straight, standing around all day for three days then driving thirty hours straight back paid off in some attention from the business side of scrapbooking.




I'll post more later.

wes

11 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe - funny feeling with Tim Holtz ;-)

Just a note on the comment-area - sorry for this: I sent you an email regarding the Movie to ask if there could be any way to buy it internationally! Maybe it went to the Spam because it came from Krautland. Anyway - if you have time...let me know ;-)

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger wes said...

Hi Nat!

Thanks for your post. I've gotten emails from Sweden and Germany ( must be yours! ) and a couple other places that I haven't been able to follow up on yet. Sending one copy to someone overseas is pretty labor instensive because the easiest way has been to wrap it up well then go to the post office and fill out customs forms, figure out postage there, etc. I've been out of town and am leaving again day after tomorrow so I'll forward the emails on to a friend or someone to take care of it. They'll figure out postage and hopefully you have a paypal account to charge through.

Thanks for your postage!

wes

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger ScrapsofMe said...

OK..I am green with envy...Tim AND Melody...you lucky duck!

Melody's blog is one of my daily reads...(along with yours of course)...and Tim is just so talented and cute...cute is good.

I'm glad you had a good time and got your video some more exposure. We are waiting on Scrapped II.

GP

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger mindakms said...

Sharing a booth with Melody, meeting Cathy, hanging with Tim...I remember when I met you and you were just a clueless bike geek. Its so cool to see you take off and play with the big dudes. Hope you are having the time of your life. And getting Rebecca in to Memory Trends? You are going to be her hero FOREVAH!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger wes said...

Hey Minda,

I'm still a clueless bike geek.... and I actually PAID Rebecca to go to Memory Trends and help ( plus expenses ) and she was worth every penny.

Still haven't broken even yet though. DOH! Appartently people would rather share the movie to a dozen friends than buy it. I don't blame them but when it's retailers crying about people getting info on products at their store then buying online where it's cheaper... when it's those retailers passing the DVD around then I get grouchy.

:0)

wes

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Chelsea said...

I agree with Rebecca, "you suck!"
lol---yeah--people fall to their knees a lot in the presense of Tim, it's quite the site to behold--he loves it, I know it. :) (his work rocks mondo big though....and he's my ink and paint hero)

tell rebecca if she needs more goodies to send me a message-I'll send some her way, or just drive some up and meet her for coffee and crop. :)

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger wes said...

Good News!

Rebecca has said she would LOVE to send DVD's to people that want to order them from anywhere in the world this side of Cucamonga so all you global citizens just send her an email with your address to rebecca@scrappedmovie.com and she'll figure out postage for you. This will make some people happy - including me... now we can spread a little more Scrapped love around.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger wes said...

PS. Hey Chelsea, I can't tell you how jazzed Rebecca was ( and still is ) regarding the supplies you gave her. It scares me how attached she is to her products... I can honestly say though, she does use them all and is constantly cropping.

Thanks for hooking me up too!

wes

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

So when do you get on the plane bound for NZ? Looking forward to meeting you in Wellington on Tuesday night

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger wes said...

Right Now!


( oooops, watch your head.... )

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger mumovearls said...

Hi Wes (I just found your Blog!) Ok so I hope you remember me from show. (you know the big curly hair oh and the fact I talk constantly) Anyways i told you I would watch your Movie ...


WOWZA!!! It was awesome! I thought it was amazing. I told you I was going to email you my info but for some reason I could find yours. so heres my email
mumovearls@yahoo.com and we'll talk -nena

 

Post a Comment

<< Home