Thursday, September 21, 2006

meet and greet

Had a blast last night at Pepcom. Great food, great people, free cigar.

Out of all the displays there I have to say ( unbiased of course... ) that Fuji had the coolest. Not a huge spread of free stuff from exhibtors but Fuji was giving away some groovy one time use cameras and Scrapped premiere edition DVD's plus showing off some of their cool new products. That's some swag you can actually use.



They hooked me up with a big plasma screen to run promos on which drew people in and got conversations started. I was SHOCKED at how many people had never even heard the term scrapbooking. To be fair this was a techno geek crowd so it was great to talk documentary, gear and share a little album making love. Now that I'm actually doing ( in a very small and personal way ) some scrapbooking its kind of fun to introduce people to it.

One highlight for me was finding two people who were closet scrapbookers and went ga-ga over the whole concept of it "hitting main stream." I really do forget how different middle America is and is perceived by both coasts. Completely different worlds sometimes. So this evening somewhere in New York there's probably going to be a contributor to PC magazine and stock analyst ( along with a about 118 other people from last night ) chuckling and scratching their heads as I try to tell my mom what a powersort box is on camera. I wouldn't have it any other way.



Another highlight was a gentleman hand rolling coagrs for guests. My new found Fuji friend went and scored one for me so I had to take a peek. Very nice. I don't know where these guys got their wrapper leaves but they were incredibly smooth with very little veins.



I also made it to CBGB's for an afternoon libation and I swear Jello Biafra ( Eric Boucher ) walked by on his way to the can. Connie said I was full of crap and it was just some guy off the street except that when we left he and some other guys were loading gear into the club. What a sucker I am for celebrities... and I have no problem with that. So this picture could be of me with famous band members that I couldn't recognize, or I could be full of crap. ;0)



Also on my tourist list was the Tribecca film festival headquaters. Too late to enter this year but I'll probably give it a go in 07. No chance in God's green earth I'll even get screened but it's fun to think Scrapped would be in that building in a pile of some of the best ( and worst ) voices in independant film.



Had lunch in little Italy and couldn't resist grabbing a shot of Connie because we were eating out on the patio under a blue tarp the the difused blue light seemed cool.

5 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if the Blogging world realizes that, in a sense, blogs are really just scrapbooks with fewer pictures.

It's all about capturing your life and telling your story, your way.

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger wes said...

Theresa B, you must be a consultant. ;0)

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

There is a reason blogging has taken off in the scrapbooking world: gives you journalling without bad handwriting : )

We really are a MySpace/Blogger generation and maybe that will translate into more scrapbookers of all styles.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger dflygirl said...

WES

It looks like you had a fabulous time! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Ilove the way you shot the pic of Connie with the flower in the front corner.

Nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home