Sunday, September 03, 2006

clarity of thought

I don't know why I cared about what people thought so much.

I kept waking up a couple nights ago, you know... one of those roll over, look at the clock, oh 2am, OK, back to sleep, roll over 3:30, 4:45, 5:50, oh crap, have to get up soon, 7:10 late for work... nope, sleep in Saturday but can't sleep in even thought I'm dead tired and stressed kind of nights. I had tested the online store in preperation for Tuesday's public release but couldn't make 100% sure the conversion rate from a US purchase to Canadian dollars was working yet and a friend of mine mentioned ( as her husband and I were getting ready to go out shooting ) that she sat by someone at the movie premiere who made a comment about there not being any guns in the movie. Out of the hundreds of emails I've received two other people mentioned the same thing, one of them saying when women do that they are labeled a dick tease. ( I didn't take the comment very well, along with the other things she mentioned.)

I lay in bed thinking about the artsy scrapbookers who wanted more art stuff, the digi scrappers who felt like there needed to be more digital stuff, the people who gave me grief about having a gun in the promo and the people giving me grief because there weren't any guns in the movie ( one of the people who, upon first meeting me immediately said, say your promos. Interesting, funny but we have very different opinions about guns was also one of the people saying they were surprised and a little disappointed there weren't guns in the movie ) people that said I needed to skip all the "boring stuff" in the beginning, and by beginning I can only assume they mean the first 70 minutes and get to the meat, the "stuff people really want to see" which was the interviews. Then there's the people that don't really know or care a lot about scrapbooking that seem to like the beginning where a logical / reasoning approach says why the building blocks are important. On and on.

I had gotten an email that day as well from a woman who was at a local scrapbook store and was talking to a friend of hers who saw scrapped at a retreat with a bunch of other women and heard it was good. Her friend told her it was hilarious and that they she should see it. She said she "would love to have a copy or two to leave up there for my guests. It would be a great promotion for you as well!" and then closed the email with "I assume it's a good clean movie?" My knee jerk reaction is, here's a crazy idea... why don't you break the bank, spend $15, buy it and watch it first? That's fine that people are buying a single copy and showing it to a dozen other people. That shows they like it and it's the common way thigns are done. The movie industry is losing their shorts to that kind of thing and it's just part of life. I have no problem with that because I am banking on 1 in 15 or 20 people that see it, liking it and actually buying it. I'm hoping that by releasing something on DVD to the average Joe or Jane Doe instead of trying to get it in theaters and then having people paying $9 apiece to watch it, they will spend $15 to watch it on DVD and get to keep it afterwards.



So I'm lying in bed tossing and turning wondering if I've blown it on the gun thing, on the art or digital thing, on the sell DVD's off the internet thing and trying to do something different with distribution, etc. if I should be sending out free copies to people that want them if they work in the industry because one of my whole things I always print on the stuff I make is that if you don't have the cash to buy one, I'll send you one if you ask. Don't copy because I'm trying to make a million bucks... don't copy it because your copy won't be a s good of quality as the real one that's all. No packaging artwork or crappy video / audio. So I was also wondering if I'm being a hypocrite with the scrapbook retreat place.

This morning I got up and played the bass for the little neighborhood Lutheran Church I go to ( yes, it has a lot of similairities to the whole Garrision Keillor, Lake Wobegon thing ) and was just Wes working on his current project. Balance and being grounded are under rated because they aren't always a juicy story. I remembered that it was only months ago when none of this exhisted. As far as I know nobody had ever thought or talked about doing any scrapbooking docu-thing with a guy from the outside. There was literally nothing in exhistance like it so when it comes right down to it everybody, not just me, has to make their own decisions and take their successes and mistakes ( insert Frank Sinatra or Sid Vicious singing "I did it my way here.) In the grand scheme of things if Scrapped explodes into a million pieces then I go do some commercial work to pay it off and I've learned a ton along the way and if people don't like it for one reason or another then they can make their own damn movie. ;0)

Truth be told I'm already overjoyed about the emails I get from people like "my husband decided to sit down and watch it with me and we both cried" or the large number of people who either feel freed up to try scrapbooking, don't feel stressed about doing it more often or even just feel motivated to spend more time writing down stories from their parents or relatives. That's a cool thing and what I need to focus on: connectiong with viewers, not every single viewer... that's impossible, but balance and perspective of who I am, who others are and the common ground we share.

9 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Blogger mindakms said...

Today my husband said, "I read your list of ideas for changing the booth next year and I liked most of them." My skip-over-your-complement-like-a-flat-stone-on-water comment, "Which ones didn't you like?"(insert huffy tone of voice)

Mr. Thompsen sir, although the majority of people who see your video are good, there is no personality test to get into scrapbooking, and therefore we have as many whining, bossy dogs as the next special interest group. The only way I've found to avoid negative comments from the general public is to stay out of the eye of the general public. Strangely hard to make money that way.

Your movie MOVES all people who are human. Unfortunately the inhuman ones can still type too.

And no, don't give her a free dvd for her cabin. She's making money hand over fist there, and had to buy all the other "supplies" she leaves for her guests.

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the great majority of people that purchased this DVD were pleased. Personally, it was even better than I expected and I'm not just blowing the proverbial sunshine up your you-know-what. Not only did I anxiously await the premiere of this movie, I purchased it and devoured it the moment I ripped it from it's package. Not only do I "get" this gem of a documentary, I respect it. All of it. Yes, I cried, yes I laughed. But most of all Wes......I learned. This movie fed my brain and I live for that. Thank you so very much for your creativity, drive, passion and courage. Rock on.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger wes said...

OK. It's official. I'm someone whose brain is trying to catch up with his situation and am extremely firtunate to be getting some interest in my work. Thanks for your thoughts!

Also, say Minda... supposin' I wanted to find a sweet squirrel toy online. Where would I go for something like that?

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger mindakms said...

Well, let's see. I heard a rumor that www.squngee.com is where all the really cool squirrel toys hang out. Especially the ones that distract squirrels from your feeders while entertaining you in the process.

Thanks for asking!

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger crazydarla said...

Well you don't know me from Jo but I was linked to your site from Cathy Z and so far I find you to be very entertaining! With that, I just wanted to reassure you that no matter what happens, you tried, you did your best, just like a soccer or football game, you give your all and what comes will come. Stop stressing and start enjoying, I would think this should be one of the best times of your life!!! Kick back! Enjoy it!! I personally cannot wait to see the movie and if I can coax ANYone in my house to sit down and watch it with me I will!!! Good luck!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger ScrapsofMe said...

Can't wait till tomorrow...hope the guns are still in the trailers and the trailers are part of the DVD! Loved the distressing technique. Wanted some tire tracks on a page once, took the cardstock out to the yard and drove the truck over it sevreal times...embossed, grey...PERFECT!
Pam

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dh roared over your trailers, especially the one of you peering through the shotgun blast .

we were both wondering if this is something you might get an academy nomination for...

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought two copies of your DVD at Showcase. I have showed it to my customers and now, thanks to Creative Memories, my customers have a link to your website through mine so that they can purchase their own copies. It's a great movie and you shouldn't sell yourself short by giving it away to people running retreats or whatever. I thought you really got to the heart of why we do what we do and did it in an entertaining way.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger wes said...

Marilee, you are my new best friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home