Monday, September 11, 2006

line of sight

Connie was driving us back from our Scrapfest adventure yesterday and since I had the camera out checking blog pics I started dinking around shooting stuff in the car. She has a Mini Cooper and there's not a ton of space to move around inside so pictures were a challenge. It reminded me of trying to pull shots shooting video and interviewing someone. It's also a lot like trying to take group pictures in small rooms like at birthday's, graduations, parties, receptions, etc.

One thing I see in myself and notice in other people's pictures is standing in one spot and taking multiple pictures hoping to get a good one where the subjects eyes are open, everything's in focus, hair isn't too ratty or their tounge isn't hanging out with drool spilling out onto thier shirt. I'm not talking about toddlers either, I was thinking grown adults... you know how parties get.

This made me try a couple different angles to see what I could come up with being severly confined to one position but sucking as much perspective as I could out of it. Here's the different things my eyeballs were letting my brain in on.

Thanks for loaning me the S3 Craig ;0)

wes




7 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

one of the things i love about studying good photos is figuring out where the photographer was standing, squatting, lying, leaning, reaching, twisting, etc. to get the shot.

once you start looking for things like that, you also begin getting more adventuresome taking pictures and not thinking so much about what people think.

my family isn't into photography (can't you put that camera away EVER?) so i have to go to perfect strangers to talk pictures. (thanks for being perfect.)

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger wes said...

Well, I've got the stranger part of pictures down anyway...

 
At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for SURE...

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger ScrapsofMe said...

I really like the first photo (at the top)...it says 'riding down the highway' to me. The person and the trip are the focus.

The 2nd n 3rd ones seem to feature the vehicle more...and I suppose in a Mini you'd definitley be focusing on the vehicle itself!

The last one...she seems awfully tense...is she saying 'point that camera at me one more time bub and i'll put it where the sun don't shine'?

Pam

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger wes said...

WOW Pam... You nailed it. :0)

Connie likes having her picture taken even less than I do which is crazy because she's MUCH better looking. I'm sure I'm the first scrapping wanna be that had some adverse reactions from people on the business end of a camera. Im guessing most people are good for 1-2 if you're quick and quite about the whole thing. 4-5 is pushing your luck.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Joy M. said...

I don't get a tremendous amount of traffic, but I wanna link you on my blog. I was wondering if you have a code with the logo to put on my sidebar.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger wes said...

WOW,

Thanks Joy. I need to start adding links to blogs from mine as well. I've been too lazy / inept / whatever to do it so thanks for the inspiration. I will email you when I figure out how to give you what you're talking about. :0)

wes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home