Friday, September 07, 2007

home ( but not quite ) sweet home

Q: Where have you been? You haven't updated your blog? Is your life uneventful now? Did you break all your fingers in a high speed google chase? A: Los Angeles, Denver, Minnetonka, St. Louis Park. No I haven't - no online access, nope and nope.

I've been without online access for the last week and am sneaking into a Caribou coffee shop to scam free internet off a $1.27 small light roast of the day. I haven't showered in a couple days, smell sweaty, need a shave and am hiding out under a hat in the corner typing by the blue glow of a laptop - so basically everybody just assumes I'm a computer programmer except for the Harley T shirt instead of a Star Trek or Red Dwarf one.



We closed on our old and new house with a few bits of drama but I guess that always happens when 1rst time home buyers are getting your old one, ( turns out the guy was an auditor and went through EVERY form and asked questions, dug out calculators to confirm figures and was uncomfortable signed several of the forms... who isn't? ) then there's drama from buying our new house from a bank in another state, the city had issues that came up at closing, etc. etc.

As much as I love our new house I spent the night last night unpacking boxes in the rain. It was raining outside and I was inside. We bought a foreclosure house which at one time had some roof damage. I guess it still does. Each drip of water hitting the floor sounded like a five gallon pail staining the floor and bubbling up drywall. Now being the morning after I can see every thing's fine and repairs are already under way. No pictures of that but I did dig up some shots of a night out on the town in Santa Monica with my two room mates while I was working on Cold Play the movie project last week.



We had a couple days off and decided to get out and circulate. D.D.M. is the guy in the white short and his nephew Theo ( I called him Thor and it caught on with the crew so now he's stuck with it. ) DDM lives a block off the ocean by the Santa Monica pier so we ended up walking around the promenade and along the beach.



Ever health conscious and willing to legislate, California is sticking it the tobacco man. This is evident in Santa Monica who actually enforces a no smoke policy seemingly anywhere except your own bathroom. Thor, not bowing to the bootstraps of oppression lit up a heater right in the middle of the promenade which could lead to fines, ticketing, arrest and imminent cancer. I was proud of him so I had DDM snap a picture to document this act of an angry young man.



My free wifi time is almost up and I haven't transferred money from bank accounts, paid bills or even checked email. DOH! Gotta go.

5 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear you are home safe. Hope the roof is fixed soon and we can see picks.

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hey Wes,
My email failed to be delivered...
I'm back in the saddle again & blogging. Thanks for your help!
http://joscrapper.blogspot.com/
Rebecca
PS Bryan loves culinary arts school & is doing very well! Let us know when you guys are up for some yummy bites from my personal chef! :)

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Hey Wes - great story/interview over at ScrapJazz: http://www.scrapjazz.com/topics/Miscellaneous/Interviews/1328.php

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger wes said...

Thanks Jenny! I should probably read that thing to see what I said - or their version of what I said.

;0)

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger mindakms said...

Hey, sir, will you call or email me? Gotta quick question.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home