Sunday, August 12, 2007

trippin'



The bike trip out to LA didn't begin in my mind until we got past Denver. Iowa and Nebraska pale in comparison of roadside beauty to me because I've seen them a million times and I know I'm going through the rockies, southwest and eventually the ocean once I get past the prairie and plains.

It was an interesting trip because there was hight heat across a broad swath of our course with intermittent thunderstorms. Sometimes it felt like you wanted to get back on the bike just to get some wind blowing and cool down.

I thought I'd conserve space and fight the heat by bringing a half helmet but about three days into blowing dust, high winds and sun my eyeballs reminded me the benefits of full facial coverage. he tightest sunglasses I could find still let the elements in. I felt fine but they looks like a horror show every night.



One of our stops was the grand canyon. I've flown through it once in a small plane tour when Connie and I first got married but didn't really get the shocking scale of it all until this trip. 277 miles long, ten miles across and 5,000 feet from the rim to the river at the bottom. Awe inspiring and unbelievable. All I could do is stand there and stare for almost an hour.



5 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome pictures of the Grand Canyon! havent been there myself yet but it looks awesome.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger China Doll said...

Went there this past May. Isn't it amazing. As my sister and I put it, it is so amazing that it doesn't looking real. It looks like a painting. Plus being my odd self, I bought a book there called "Death in the Canyon." Some pretty interesting stories about people who have fallen over and hiked to their death.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger wes said...

I was totally digging the death in the canyon book because seeing so many people and kids crawling out to the edge for the perfect picture made me wonder how many people fall in. Probably just thinning out the heard and cleaning the gene pool I guess.

I hope to find it at the library somewhere. :0)

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger CyndiAKADisneyqueen said...

What an awesome view. But I can see me now, viewing from far away. I think I would freak that close to the edge!

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger D@nielle said...

wow fab pics of the canyon I really should check it out sometime !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home