Wednesday, July 25, 2007

hot summer nights



I've been working late editing a regional outdoor hunting / fishing show into a DVD series before I take off Friday for a cross country motorcycle trip to LA. The next six weeks look like this: Try to finish some DVD's, pack and map out a 1,500 mile bike ride through the plains, rockies, Monument Valley, The Grand Canyon, Vegas, Palm Springs, Joshua Tree and then movie base camp in Santa Monica and Malibu.



I need to pack as much of the house up before I go as well because I'll be driving back Labor Day weekend then closing the day after I get back on our old house, closing on the new house and then moving. It's going to be a busy six weeks.



So it was wee hours of the night and I took a break from sitting in front of monitors to go for a motorbike ride. It's been 90 fahrenheit and humid so cool night breezes and empty city streets were a treat.



I ended up at a late night used record / CD store in Uptown called Cheapo that I used to hit all the time when I lived closer and bought music like a fiend. Still pre-midnght it was still open and full of people. Clack, clack, clack went the constant sound of people filing through rows of CD's looking for the big find. I was hunting down the sound track to the "Grizzly Man" doc by Richard Thompson ( I'm a big fan ) and stumbled upon my own audio sweetness: Atomic Bass II.



Ohhh Yeahhh Baby. 95 cents bought me some official trunk bumpin' - booty shakin' goodness that has a caution right on the cover. "Caution: This album may cause permanent speaker damage. Use caution when operating a motor vehicle." I'd rip an MP3 and rock your world here on the blog but our poor 3 inch computer speakers can't bring the heat of thunder bass down to 10hz.

What's the last music you've bought? What was the first one? Was it CD, LP, Cassette, 8 Track ( dig it?! )

Thanks for reading!

10 Comments:

At 2:24 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Hey Wes, my very first CD (remember when they first came out?), which I still have, was "A Decade Of Steely Dan". I've also imported it onto my ipod. Reminds me that my first CD player, which played 1 disc at a time, cost over 500 bucks! Now you can get 400 disc changers for around 300. Times have changed.
Scott

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger mindakms said...

Hey, my hubby is the last postee! Wes, we got your picture CD today and I am ordering prints as we speak. So...some off the hook layouts featuring you and a pink shirt are sure to follow!

By the way, I'm guessing you are coming back LABOR DAY, not Memorial Day, or that is one long ass slow closing date!

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Info Goddess said...

Going to show my age here... my first 45 was the Beatles 'Hey Jude/Revolution' and first LP was Simon & Garfunkel 'Bridge over Troubled Water'.

Those were the good old days...:)

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger wes said...

DOH! Minda, you're right. I'll change it.

Fern: Your blog says you had a crack at a new laptop and went with the comfortable? Good for you. :0)

My fist music purchases were 45's and LP's as well. I don't remember which ones specifically but I do remember my first CD - William Ackerman's "Past Light" album. Acoustic guitar that was way to tame for a High School student.

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger chacho said...

I used to steal my older siblings mix tapes (mostly made by Chuck's ex-girlfriends) until they all moved out and I was forced to buy my own.
Pretty sure the first album I actually paid for was 1986's Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill (on cassette) It was also my first CD purchase. Now thanks to iTunes and piracy I haven't purchased a physical album of any kind for a couple of years.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Dee G said...

Hey Wester,

I just picked up Muse's latest: Black Holes and Revelations. It's pretty amazing. I've only just been introduced to them, so I may now have to go back and find their earlier stuff.

My first CD was U2's The Joshua Tree. Of course, before that, there was much vinyl.

Hang in there, buddy--don't let all of this activity affect your health!

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger D@nielle said...

Hmmm first one was a cassette of the Go-Go's, the last one I was given bcause I rarely buy of Alicia Keys - mtv unplugged. BTW We so enjoyed the dvd, thanks for sending it so quick, Bubbah was surprised, maybe he'll give this scrapping thing a try instead of just complaining ;) Hope all goes well with your plans, enjoy the trip !

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Cam said...

Hope you have a great trip. I'm jealous. I could use a good road trip around now.

Shiny side up. Rubber side down. Two simple, easy to follow instructions...

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Dee G said...

Wester--been a bit concerned about you guys since hearing about the bridge in Minneapolis. I know the odds are very low, but you guys are okay, right??

Drew

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Ed (a.k.a. Bubbah) said...

Wes, Wassup!

Got your DVD's they're marvelous!!!

'Bout that muzak...
First 7" ever bought: Mud - Dynamite
First Album (Vinyl): Kiss - Alive II
First CD: BB&Q Band - Best of
Last DVD: Clercks & Clerks II (2 die 4)...

I still buy vinyl & even bought a USB-player to record the albums & 12"'s I cannot find digital elsewhere.. Took enuff of your Webspace.

Later! Bubbah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home