Tuesday, June 12, 2007

dicotomy



So here I am in my corporate battle gear pitching a video series and DVD companion product to a book about China. It's a far cry from the free wheeling scrapbooking project where you're still owing somebody something to get production done but you shoulder the success and failure yourself and don't answer to a board of trustees.

After a few months of shooting in China, editing, working on manuscripts, building an online delivery system with databases, blogs and podcasts it looks like things are winding down and we're not going to get a big chunk of millions of dollars all at once. That means current negotiations with McGraw Hill to publish the book, then build a TV and DVD series on that, which in turn is enough bait for investors in the online empire . I need to make money and pay bills ( are you with me? ) so I'm interviewing for regular 9-5 jobs in video production, editing, web building and interactive media.

One interesting possibility is a local distribution company wants to buy Scrapped, Brethren ( my other soul searching project I did a year or so before Scrapped ) and possibly hire me on to develop a "docu-tainment" department for them. It might not pay much better than flipping burgers but how cool would that be? I smell a Scrapped 2 if that happens. :0)



Until then I'm just keeping the biking / fishing / rowdy music part of my life suppressed and dressing up for the last remaining funding pitches and job interviews.



PS> What is up with a sunfish biting a lure 23 times bigger than it's mouth? The poor little guy has guts...

3 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger Dee G said...

Wes, that's so exciting! I really hope that one works out for you, you know, for bread and butter until you become an international superstar director.

...and you look mighty fetching in a suit. ;-)

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

prayers and happy thoughts being sent your way that the right doors are opened for you and all your projects.

Scrapped 2 would be soooo cool but I hope you can get paid a little closer to what you are worth : )

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Wes you've inspired a small scrapping challenge. And I totally agree that Scrapped 2 would be great. This little band of merry scrappers is constantly changing. New material every time I turn around.

http://homegrownscrapbooks.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=34073

 

Post a Comment

<< Home