Monday, April 23, 2007

On the Case




A cool thing happened today... Scrapped got a Telly. It's not an Emmy or Oscar or something like that but it's good fun for me regardless. I've never gotten a silver one which means judges rated Scrapped at least 9's out of possible 10's across the board. They get over 12,000 entries a year from all over the world and silver winners have been people like PBS, Discovery Health, Spike TV, Universal Studios Network, Walt Disney Studios, etc.



This is good timing because I've started calling distributors looking for someone to take over the business of marketing and selling in the mainstream. Scrapped has been sucessful in the grass roots network but is hungry to get out into the rest of the world. I'm frankly surprised it's gotten as far as it has because I'm not a business guy and have pretty much been doing everything myself or with the help of my wife, brother or Rebecca from the movie, well them and dozens of companies, industry professionals and thousands of people like you that gave me a break. It's not a major production, not even close... but I gave it everything I had, learned a ton and tackled scrapbooking as a completely ignorant, skeptical and non-social outsider. Thanks for that!

There's a great scrapbooking covnention in a few locations this summer that's invited me to show clips and attend so I'm aiming to find a home for the project soon and hand off the business duties so I can get back to promotion and development of new scrapbooking projects for guys and the non-crafty among us. Creative Memories has passed because lets face it, why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free so I'm going to have to yank them out to make it more product neutral for other companies that have been eagerly helping promote the movie.



I've been waiting for years to get this award. When I started hitting the film festival circuit a few years ago with projects I told Connie if I ever stuck with it long enough to get 1/2 a dozen I'd break down and get a case to keep them in. Today's the day.

22 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Well done!! Does that mean I'll need a new copy without the CM bits in it? :-)

 
At 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wes,
Bryan & I are so proud of you & Connie and happy for your accomplishments!!! And we are so honored to be a part of this amazing project! Congratulations on the Telly!!! WOW! How cool is that?!? Much deserved I might add!
Rebecca

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger wes said...

Jenny,

No need to buy a new copy... for the same experience just hit the "skip chapter" button over 11 and 18.

Thanks Rebecca! Thousands will mourn the loss of your crop room as you have now sold your house and moved. The new owners aren't scrapbookers are they?

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Nathalie Kalbach said...

Aweeeeesommmmeeee!!!!! Love this!!! Congratulations Wes - so well deserved!!!! I am going to brag that I interviewed Wes who got a Telly Award ;-) Huge Hugs from Krautland!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger mindakms said...

Oh Westerly, I'm SOOOOO happy for you! Good for your and your Telly, and I hope the distributors start tripping over each other.

Let us know when the CM free version is available, I'd like to have that one to watch from time to time!

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger mindakms said...

Wait a minute! Rebecca moved? Well certainly she will have a NEW crop room at the new place. I mean come on!

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Minda, of course I have a new cropping pad! This house is a different layout so I hate to admit it but it took 2 rooms to house all of my stuff instead of one!!! I have the "Inspire" room with all of my SB magazines & doo dads and the "Create" room with my desks, cutting tools etc... I can not wait to be done un-packing to I can get back to cropping! :) And I did find a local scrapbooking store today that is less than a mile from my house - DOH!
Rebecca

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

CONGRATS!!!! That is so awesome and so deserved. Let us know how we can help get Scrapped main streamed. I think the CM free version will go over even better personally. You should be so proud of everything you have done for scrapbooking. If you need anybody to work an expo here in California let me know : )

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger CrashEffect.Paul said...

Whoa! Good Job Man!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger CyndiAKADisneyqueen said...

Congratulations Wes. That is so cool.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger EquineSpirit said...

Congratulations!! That's way cool!

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! That's seriously sweet! Congratulations Wes!

Rebecca, you are a brat. :) Two rooms for scrapbooking. I'm envious...What color are the rooms? Red for a color boost? Yellow for happiness?

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

Tanish yellow for happiness with red color accents in fabrics and accessories. PS I do share! :)

Rebecca

Wes, I think you need to do a segment on scrap/hobby/artist pads so the world can see that there are other people out there who have as much stuff as me and maybe more! :)

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger OGD Critic said...

Congratulations! You have certainly earned it.

 
At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats awesome! congratulations!

 
At 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wes! Way cool! On behalf ot the My Scrapworks family, CONGRATULATIONS on your award! Well deserved for such a hard working guy, and truly one of the coolest person I've met. All the best to you and your family! :)

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger stephanie howell said...

wes- congrats. seriously.
that is awesome and so very deserved.

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Congratulations, Wes!
Now-- On to the serious stuff,
Isn't this weather gorgeous? Get off your computer and get out on your bike!!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger China Doll said...

YaY!!! Congrats!!!! No if you do pull CM, introduce other ones too! :-D

 
At 4:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats from Oz Wes - well done. What a great achievment and all from Scrapbooking.... come back to Oz and inspire the men here - I don't think Scrapping has hit them yet... maybe we can change that.
Rebecca, all us girls were very delighted with all your gear - it's helped us here because our hubbies can't complain now when they see all your stuff, they now see that we don't have much at all! So thanks for having more than us so we now don't look so bad..... enjoy your "TWO" rooms - I wish.
Sarah

 
At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wes, CONGRATS! I am am ex-con (ex CM consultant) and BIG fan of the stuff, but am SO VERY disappointed that the company has not been more supportive. I am eagerly waiting to see this hit the mainstream! Pretty business savvy for a scrapbook guy!! LOL. (just had to tease)

Way to go,

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to you and your movie! I'm glad I got to see it on the big screen in Alabama. Get rid of CM, they sure don't deserve the publicity for being such .......! However, it isn't surprising from them.
Laura in GA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home