Monday, April 09, 2007

writing on the Wall



As many of you already posted, emailed or called... yes, there was an article in the Wall Street Journal about men scrapbooking and yes, I was in it. What a blast. As I drove over to Barnes and Noble to grab a couple copies ( you can't scrapbopok a pdf file ) I realized that 1: any day you wake up with your name in the Wall Street Journal is a good day ( barring indictments, scandals and bankruptcies ) and 2: it's now officially OK for guys to scrapbook.

Seriously, when I started doing research for Scrapped about a year and a half ago I was extremely hard pressed to find guys that did it. there were a couple that wouldn't return my phone calls or just plain said they were to embarrassed to be on camera. I think we've come a long way and I like to think that Scrapped had something to do with it but I think there were probably just outposts and sleeper cells of guys out there who just didn't make a big deal out of it. Kind of like when you get a new car and all of a sudden you see a million of them on the road you hadn't noticed before. Either way, I'm sincerely glad to see guys getting more involved in wrangling up their mementos, opinions and stories in the acid free page.



I am a little concerned that women will wake up one day with men in the scrapbook store or weekend retreat burping and playing pull my finger in the back then rue the day men ever got involved. I'll apologize for that right now. I should also say for the record that Kelly Crow ( super nice person ) said in the article "Men are still largely banned from the country's 20-odd-scrapbooking retreats." I've found the opposite to be true. It could be the movie but I've been invited to tons of crops and had nothing but amazingly supportive responses from complete strangers. I've found scrapbooking women to be exceptionally welcoming.

If you haven't had a chance to read the article it's called "Wanted: A Few Good Men ( With Scissors) in Friday April 6th's Wall Street Journal. I don't want to get in hot water so I'm not going to post it but if you email me I might be able to find a copy for you...

What are your thoughts on the write up?

12 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger Nathalie Kalbach said...

Wow --- Wes -you rock!!!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger wes said...

Nathalie, You're so funny! You know WAYYY more scrapbook rockstars than I do. You're the hub of the German scrapbook scene!

Wie sagen Sie "You Rock" auf Deutsch? Nicht eine wörtliche Übersetzung aber, was auch immer die kühle neue Bezeichnung ist.

FYI: I am henseforth supplementing my over use of the term "scrapbook rockstar" with the term "crop-erati" like the word "glitterati." I will also supplement the term "scrap stalker" with the term "scraparazzi" which shouldn't be confused with "paparazzi." Paparazzi is defined in the Wiki world as "photographers who take candid photographs of celebrities, usually by relentlessly shadowing them in their public and private activities."

I haven't heard the terms "crop-arati" or "scrap-arazzi" yet so junp on the bandwagon and lets start a new fad! I'm still working on a scrapbook / archival / acid free / crop equivilant for "fashionista" which I also love... any ideas?

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger EquineSpirit said...

Wow!! The Wall Street Journal! Way cool! Congrats!

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger phatassphairy said...

phairy claps
well done to you on your line in the wall street journal, my what a big note to have in your crack

Wes Wes Wes, .....have you got a lot of tips and tricks still to learn hun,(lol..pmsl) you have not lived until you experienced the morning toe puller ...which is the highlight to any roomies scrappers retreat. So bring ur buds we will welcome the fella's to step up to the plate and rock with the scraparizzi.
keep up your great work

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger mary h. said...

Congrats on the WSJ!

Maybe if more men saw your bag, they'd think it was cool to scrap.;)That everything doesn't have to be all sparkling pink or purple. lol. Maybe it'd bring marriages back together if more men would go on retreats with the wives. I'd love for my dh to actually go to one with me.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Michelle Sanders said...

DAMN IT Wes! How did I miss that?!! I so would have bought a copy. Oh well...can you send me a link to the pdf at least? I can't wait to read all about it!

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Wes!
thats pretty darn cool! your like helping to bring men out of the closet with thier scrapbooking and soon they wont feel the need to hide thier scalloped scissors anymore.

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger wes said...

Michelle,

I can't find your email address anywhere. Can you send something to wes@scrappedmovie.com and I'll have it to send you a pdf of the WSJ article?

Thanks!

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Juel said...

Would love for you to send me a copy of the article when you get a chance. What an awesome thing!!

As far as men on scrapbooking retreats....my husband has been trying for years but he has not been 'allowed'. He LOVES to be around me when I scrapbook and to see what others are working on. He has even offered to cook but has been turned down so often, that now he doesn't even ask anymore.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger wes said...

HI Juel,

I like your blog.

Same issue. I can't find your email address so I can't send you a copy. If you email me I'll get you one. wes@scrappedmovie.com

Thanks!

wes

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Justin Jochim said...

Wes,

My name is Justin and I work at Close To My Heart. I am working on a feature story about men that scrapbook and I was wondering if I could ask you some questions about the hobby. Thank you,

Justin

 
At 5:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so glad I found this page! I'm writing my master thesis about Scrapbooking and the Handmade Movement (I compare the US and Germany) and I will of course also write about the gender issue, so this blog will be very useful for me. I have just stumbled upon your blog, but I would love to see the movie in order to enhance my research on the topic.
So Nathalie is "the hub of the German scrapbook scene", as you say? Then I really need to contact her...
If you have any information for me, I'd be more than gratful.
Best wishes from sunny Heidelberg
Nina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home