Tuesday, February 20, 2007

outside of the ( 5x7 or 12x12 ) box

I made a bunch of 8x10's to put in a media kit for this China project I'm working on. Some of them looked kinda cool and I think I'm going to do some layouts with them. It got me thinking that I hardly ever see layouts with 8 x 10's in them. Why is that? Have you guys ever done them? Why isn't it more common? Good grief... what makes embellishments take priority over photos? :0)



I used to blow stuff up at mpix ( www.mpix.com ) where you can get a 12 x 12 photo done for about five and a half bucks, but recently Walmart has matched or beat their 8 x 10 price for just under $2. I'm disappointed in Walmarts new un-easy to use online photo interface. In fact it ( imho ) sucks compared to their faster, easier to navigate and more flexible previous one but it still gets the job done and you don't have to sign up for yahoo like you do at Target's website.

So no excuses now. You can get some old school, juicy, super glossy 8x10's done for $2 and mailed straight to your door, have plenty of room to fire up that cropping tool and shock the world with your powerful imagery.



PS> Here's an example of critical analysis gone wrong. I thought you'd get a laugh out of how we critque ourselves. I caught myself making sure the picture "worked" even though it was for a blog and done in a dark basement @ 4:00 AM on a tiny Macbook camera.

So if you've got an 8x10 experience I want to hear it!

6 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

nice photo : )
Why so few 8 x 10 layouts? most photos are 4x 6 or 5 x 7. I did just get some converters to add into the digital program I use, LifeTimez, that will make the layout 4 x 6, 5x 7 or 8 x 10 so they can be placed in common photo frames

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Christine Smith said...

hey wes, I think 8x10 is just less common because the availability of an album in which to keep them. I really like 11x8.5 though - standard paper size in a whole new orientation

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger mindakms said...

i posted some I've done on my blog
http://mindakms.typepad.com

Its a lovely size for vacation photos or portraits.

I'm working on a layout right now that has an 8x10 and a 3x11 picture on it (and 8 others)

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Great suggestion! Here are three pages that I tried it out on:
http://www.scrapbookconspiracy.blogspot.com/

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Ginger said...

Wanna know a SUPER fun size? 8x12 - get them at Costco. Trust me - life will never be the same! :)

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use 8x10 every once in awhile in my 12x12 albums when I have a great photo. I do love the 8x10 size but since I print at home it does suck up allot of ink. Like Ginger said, I've heard Costco is pretty good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home