Wednesday, January 24, 2007

paper cut





So has anyone ever heard of the chinese art of paper cuts? I'm sure it's got to be a tradition in other places but the Chinese have brought it to a whole new level. I was in a store looking at wall hangings and the clerk showed me some other items. He pulled out these little booklets with intricate designs cut out of tissue paper. At first I was thinking cool, but what in the world would you use these for? Then a second later I was buying them by the handful for embellishments. I don't know how to adhere them to a page yet but they are very thin and will lay flat behind a page protector or slide in if I just tack it in place with a small drop of something. I don't want to spray anyting on and risk discoloring it.

What a score! I love these things. Just when I thought there's nothing new under the embellishment sun I run into Paua shell stickers in New Zealand and paper cuts in China. I guess there's really no end to it all huh? Everybody's got something you can put in a scrapbook.

I bought an extra pack to give away so let's say that the person who can prove their birthday is the closest to February 5th ( the day I get back from CHA and some other stuff in LA ) gets a pack. Just scan in or take a photo of your drivers liscence or something with your birthday and I'll mail you out the goods when I return home on Feb. 5th. Mail your birthday info to wes@scrappedmovie.com.



Here's a multi ethnic experience of my friend, my partner and myself having some Korean food in Bejing. Korea is pretty much surrounded by China and ocean so Bejing seems to be the nearest hot spot for Korean food, culture and visitors. Well, that's all until 2008 when rabid olympic groupies decend. I spent a few days across the way from the spaghetti building which will be used for opening ceremonies and such. Very interesting, as long as you're not the guy building it.



And what stop in Tokyo would be complete without picking up a high-5 good luck kitty?! I don't know what the official name is or the origin. It's just fun to think of a cat giving you the "power to the people" symbol of the black panthers. I dig it.

Thanks!

wes

6 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Blogger wes said...

Thanks NikiMaki!

Yeah, posting an ID with your name and birthday on a blog isn't too secure. That's why I was thinking email. Congrats. You're the closest one so far.

You know I didn't touch any photos up lately so that's all just what's coming straight out of the camera. It's a crying shame that I'm using a Fuji S3 to take quick point and shoot photos for my blog. I've got a cheaper, smaller camera that I bought for keeping in my pocket but the bigger one is always laying around handy since I've been using it for work the last few weeks.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Nathalie Kalbach said...

ohhh boy - I would so love to have a pack but I'm an honest old kraut and...my birthday is in July - mmmmh - darn! ;-)

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My birthday is also July so no free Japanese goodies. I did find this link when I googled Japanese scrapbooking
http://www.eastwindart.com/cgi-bin/ustorekeeper.pl?command=goto&file=JAPANESE_SCRAPBOOK_SUPPLIES.html

Also the Craft Robo is from Japan and their site is full of fun stuff
http://craftrobo.jp/index.html

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger EquineSpirit said...

Those are so neat! Unfortunately my birthday isn't until June. :(

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Hey Wes...XYRON would probably work great for these. :)

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger wes said...

Well Nikimaki, You're the big winner!

I checked your profile and couldn't find an email address. Can you send an email telling me where to send your paper cuts?

Thanks Heather for the Xyron tip. I was afraid these things were too fragile for that but I'm going to give it a try. Otherwise I'll just tack them in place with 3L's little removeable glue dots ( acid free baby... ) We'll see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home