Wednesday, January 10, 2007

On Location



I've made a couple long flights in the last few months but for some reason this one seemed to take forever. Now I'm here in Bejing with my freinds Dave and Rob to start shooting a project about doing business in China. Quite a shift from Scrapbooking so I'm mentally shifting gears from being in front of the camera and coordinating everything to just working on directing stuff from the other side and letting Dave do all the work.




Scrapbooking has already crept in to my brain on the trip though and I've been taking pictures of things and mentally making notes on things I don't want to forget. I've also been keeping my eye out for things I can stick on pages as embellishments.

Met with our Chinese partner Mr. Wong and his connection Grace who has been wrangling up gear for us and arranging lights, cameras and crew. Grace is a producer with CCTV channel 2 which seems to be business and trade news so she's well versed in what we're doing technically and topically. I met our camera man Tony last night at dinner. Thankfully many Chinese people that work with westerners have "American names" because I kept forgetting his real one. Tony and I decided that my Chinese should be Cow Yah ( don't know how to spell it ) the name of the cooked duck dish we were eating. I figured it would be a fitting title if things tank on the set and I end up wrecking something. You know, just to instill confidence in the crew. ;0)

Here's a picture of Dave the on camera guy and Joe Wong, our Chinese partner who's got all the connections. You can probably figure out who's who.




Of course I'm excited to start shooting tomorrow morning ( well, this morning I guess... it's 3:00 AM and I'm still adjusting to the time difference. ) We'll be doing everything in HD and some of the test shots I've run have looked wonderful. Everything's unique to western eyes, everything's different.




It's certainly a small world being in Northfield, Minnesota on a Friday and in Bejing on a Monday. Heres some pictures I look forward to doing some layouts with. It's hard to take a picture of a city with ten million people so I kept focusing on the little things that caught my eye and stayed away from broad brushstrokes.

Nope, this post isn't very interesting and has almost nothing to do with scrapbooking but a lot of this blog has been personal and relational so I figured I'd throw this stuff in because people have asked. I look forward to posting some pictures of us shooting next time. See Ya!

5 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger EquineSpirit said...

I am SO freaking jealous!! LOL! I oh so want to go to China someday! I've even managed (after several years) to talk my DH into letting me decorate our bedroom with an oriental theme. Wes, you are one lucky duck!! Gorgeous photos by the way!

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

this does have to do with scrapbooking, you are creating your journaling for your scrapbook you will make when you get home : ) will you be keeping this blog or switching to a new on for the new project? I hope you keep this one and keep us updated.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Kim Bolyard said...

How exciting...just wanted to tell you that I love the photos. great angles.

peace
kim

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so excited for you...I am reliving my trip to China thru you. I went to Beijing and Shanghai this past November for the first time. It was awesome! I hope you get to go to the Great Wall and the Forbidden City. Definitely take pictures of the foods, the signs, the smog, the police (they appear so young!!) and save all of your entrance tickets, etc.
God Bless, and have a safe trip back home!
Rosa.

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger Maureen said...

This does have to do with scrapping, you have taken some great photos and you can include this entry into your book. You could even do a book about me or my trips. It sure is different I bet from being in Northfield, then taking a flight to a huge city. Have fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home