Wednesday, December 13, 2006

artsy fartsy

It's official,

Nick, the guy who is doing the T Shirt designs ( yes, I'm making T Shirts out of both of the designs with some minor modifications because people seem to like both ) is also part of a new art gallery. He's worked at and helped promote an exhisting gallery which was a kind of co-op and has venutred off with some partners into building some fantastic retail space right by a river and oddly enough right around the corner from where Jesse James met his demise. ( Not the biker phenom but the real one who robbed banks. ) Jesse on the left is pictured here with his brother Frank on the right. It was the actual citizens of Northfield that started slinging lead around when the James / Younger gang pulled guns and started robbing the bank so hey, I'm not the first yahoo to be waving a shotgun around. It's a regular passtime here on the edge of the prarie that goes back a hundred years.




The grand opening is happening right away in the new year and we've worked it out to have the typical wine and cheese finger food thing but also have an openeing exhibit of Scrapbook pages and quirky Americana kind of stuff that will be kicked off by a screening of Scraped on Friday January 5th. The new year will be broken in with Scrapbooking going high art in focused lighting on white walls wish hushed and reverant tones. Yes, your vacation layout with pictures of the worlds biggest ball of twine can be hanging next to my layout of the thoughts on why we have big toes, next to pictures of little Benji's Bah Mitzvah.




This is going to be the convergance of cultures for me because I lived in Northfield growing up and my dad and stepmom live on a farm not far away. They'll be attending and bringing some cronies. Northfiled is the home to both the prestigeus Carlton and St. Olaf colleges. The population of the whole town is about 17,000 people with the colleges being so huge ( about 4,000 students ) that they actually statisticlly bring the average age of the towns population down to 23 years old. It's about an hour from the cities and surrounded by open fields. It's also ( as mentioned ) the offical place where Jesse James and his gang were destroyed with the bullet holes still in the wall of the last bank they robbed proudly displayed. So to wrap up the scene we're going to have an art show about scrapbooking in an ivy league town of 17,000 out on the prarie 3 doors down from a bank with bullet holes in the wall and it's going to be promoted with 70's hot rod art.

Here's the event poster. I'm dying of curiosity to see what you scrapbook ladies think. I love it but I don't expect you to.




I'm also recruiting for layouts. I need to come up with a theme and I realize that they are an emotional, creative and financial investment so I'm going to try and come up with some kind of free thing to give away for people submitting work to display. I'll post some thing later today with info and send it out through other blogs, online communities, email chain, etc. Heck, I might even post something on 2 peas but lets face it - they've turned into a mob of catty creatures that can really turn into a slamfest. I personally haven't been flamed there but I see and hear horror stories of people that have.

Viva Scrapbooking! The revolution will not be televised... no, wait a minute.

wes

16 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Blogger mindakms said...

I can personally promise you a layout from my daughter, my husband, my mother and myself, on any topic you choose. No gift required or accepted. Just tell us what and when

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - I would offer you a layout - but it mighht not come in time from Kraut-land! I wanted to contact you for a while- will later. Got your DVD s with a wonderful note Rebecca - rocking movie. Love the view - well more chatty nat to you private later!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger wes said...

Wow, a family scrapbook donation and a post from the motherland... How cool is that? Man, you guys really get on this stuff. The post was only up for a couple hours.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Make sure you post on your blog where you want submissions sent and the theme. You've gained quite a following and I'm certain you would receive more layouts than you can imagine.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i am more than willing to create a page for this! i think the logo is cool & wish i were close enough to attend!

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll send a submission as soon as a theme is posted. By the way, LOVE the poster! I guess I can consider myself a scrapbook lady but on most days I feel just like that dude in your poster, put HIM on a T shirt and I'll get one!
Rochelle

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, I will submit just for the honor to do so...nothing back required! If you can post on your blog what/how to submit since I dont do chat rooms, message boards etc...I not a very social scrapper ;)

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the poster and I'd be happy to submit something. Reading your blog has been a real highlight for me over the past few months.

Thanks for doing what you do.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger wes said...

Well Nikimaki, if this has been a highlight then we need to get you Netflix or something. :0)

Are you in North America or Japan?

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

another here anxious to find out the theme...would enjoy contributing!

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am certainly interested in finding out a theme. Sounds like a neat adventure.

 
At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am definitely going to send you something. I might be able to do a group page or a set of pages with my scrappin' family. I'm working on that one. Could be something fun like each of us do a page with the same supplies, pictures, etc., we put them together to show the versatility in scrapbooking, different styles, etc. Now I've really got the creative juices flowing.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Michelle Sanders said...

Well I would certainly like to be a part of this. Let me know what them you want and were to send it. Oh and if you want originals or color copies.

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wes:

We're from North America.

Maki is Finn for hill. You'd be amazed by the number of invitations we get to Japanese associations and such though.

I'll be dropping my page in the mail for you tomorrow.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger wes said...

Hi Michelle Sanders. Here's the skinny:

The theme is: My Art

Send a layout ( any size ) to:
Scrapped
16308 Highwood dr
Minnetonka, MN 55345

Original layouts are preferred as they will be hanging in a gallery for a month as art pieces. They won't be returned though ( sorry! ) because I hope to spark some future shows at galleries here in the midwest and beyond. It's kind of a bragging, labor of love thing and hey, a personal favor to me to do a layout for the event. :0)

I don't get DVD's back that I send to film festivals and I have to pay between $40 - $100 for the privilage.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger wes said...

Thanks Nikimaki!

Finns rule!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home