Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Keep it light.

W e i r d n e s s.



I didn't go out much last weekend as I had just gotten back and turned my house into a self induced hermitage. I did go out a few times, for dinner with Connie and her brother, for groceries and to mail off DVD orders. Over the course of the weekend I had three occurrences of complete strangers approaching me and introducing themselves saying they saw Scrapped or read an article about it in the paper, etc.

It was great because I felt like all the work is paying off. People are finding out about it and maybe I've made people think a little about their lives, their families and scrapbooking. The coolest thing was that I was met with smiles, warm faces and full on eye contact. The kind where someone doesn't look at you... they look into you. It was great because I was tired and busy and I had this intimate moment with someone, we connected and was all wrapped up in 45 seconds. I didn't have to worry about calling them, no email about when we're getting together again for breakfast. Just in, out and over but very meaningful for that brief moment in time. I love that!

The funny thing is that one of my big premises of the movie was that I already have too many one way relationships with people on TV, movies, radio, etc. and need more with some depth so I guess the jokes on me. Either way, it worked and I liked it.

Thanks for reading, watching and responding.

So are you more of a keep it light and happy kind of conversationalist or a 3 hours over coffee with Kleenex close by type?

8 Comments:

At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like a short, keep it light, AND go deep conversation...all in 10min or so. cut right to the chase, then laugh about stuff, then go on. We pick it right up again whenever we see each other next. we're all busy, but close.

i have a lot of "friends" whose blogs i read.

lopsided.

i know all about them. they know nothing of me. it's ok, but sometimes i want to email them and tell them something, then i remember that it's not really a friendship.

actually you, scrapped man, do comment back.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger wes said...

Oh Nancy,

Through our course of maybe 14 sentances over the last few months I feel like we've connected so how could I not comment back? Let's face it. I know you as well as I know most people. :0)

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a kleenex box conversationalist more of a make you laugh so hard your sides hurt kind of talker, so there probably could be a few tears from that.

Length really depends on the day. Somedays long deep conversations and somedays a quick-draw bit of chatter but always laughter. Gotta have that.

Thanks for responding to my occassional posts. It's kind of weird to post on a person's blog you've never met before but for some reason feel that you need to post a comment to a blog post. I guess I can't help it so you'll just have to put up with me or block me. Whatever. :)

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I just read my post and the second paragraph could be taken sick-like if you're that kind of person. Just thought I'd mention that because I'm a sick pervert and will probably get kicked off the internet even though I really haven't said anything bad. Okay, I'm done. I'm leaving the internet now.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Dee G said...

I generally prefer the bump-into-someone-at-the-airport-take-them-to-a-vodka-distillery kind of encounter.

Hey, what would a comment from me be without some sort of self-reference?

Seriously, hombre, I'm glad that this movie has pitched you so clearly into the "great conversation" - those things that are heard and discussed by complete strangers.

Personally, my favourite response to your movie were the audience's murmurs of, well, let's just say it, lust... during the opening scene of the Gold Coast screening where all of the scrapbooking wares were displayed.

Okay, *really*, it was the closing scene with your Dad, and how that just broke the room. Way to go, Wester.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger mindakms said...

weeding out your potential friends nightmares with this question dude? I have two or three intense friendships at any given time, but they tend not to last more than a year or two. Then they crumble under the scrutiny and I smile and move on to new adventures. I have had more best friends than most people know. Its a great way to live, as long as you have your best friend (husband) to be there for you in the dark times.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger wes said...

Jennifer,

You've been blogging here for quite a while. You're right, we haven't met but we've exchanged emails and you know more about me now from the movie than most people so you just make yourself at home!


Minda, I can totally get that.

Drew, I bet you drag all your friends from the airport to a Vodka distillery...

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Juel said...

I am a 3 hour over coffee, keep the kleenex handy kinda person/friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home