Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Daybreak



Got up this morning thinking about all the stuff I have to do: Mail 500 DVD's off for Kerri Kuzel @ Scrapbook Adhesives to be part of the World's Biggest Scrapbook project for the Make a Wish Foundation which is going to be displayed at CHA in Anaheim ( http://www.scrapbookadhesivescharity.com/ ) , I need to follow up on some upcoming scrapbook media related projects ( maybe some TV and distribution stuff ), need to go through the script, gear and legistics for a project I'll be shooting in Bejing next week ( a pilot for a TV / DVD series ) and am starting to sort through all the stuff in my house in anticipation of putting it on the market. At any given time in the last year I've had upwards of ten thousand DVD's floating around, in the garage, in the studio, in the spare bedroom and in the office - often simultaniously. I've recently gotten a storage space but why pay a couple hundred bucks a month when you can make a bigger house payment right? ;0)

I've also outgrown the basement studio and am shooting enough footage now for different projects that I'm looking at homes that have enough space to build a set on site. We'll see what happens...

Going through my list I was thinking what the heck am I doing? Overbooking life? Yes. Going places and doing things outside of my comfort and skill levels? Yes. I turned around and looked out the window because outside felt bigger than a crowded office and saw the sunrise. Well, I saw a bunch of trees in front of a sunrise. I grabbed a camera and ran outside in a T Shirt to snap a couple pictures. It reminded me of the cliche' about not seeing the forest for the trees.

This time of year is filled with reflection. Where you're going, where you've been... I remembered moving out here to the suburbs seven years ago and thinking Minnetonka was the last outpost of civilization. It felt like the boonies and although I missed the homes we had in South Minneapolis where Connie and I lived for a long time, I didn't miss the airplane noise, the grafitti on our garage, the junk in our alley, the crime, the parking, on and on. Now I can't imagine living anywhere else. As I start up another video project about international business with China I remember not knowing scratch about scrapbooking - nothing. Not what an embellishment was, not even knowing 12 x 12 was a standard page size. This week I got to visit and hear from all kinds of friends I've met in the biz and people who sent in layouts for the show on Friday. Not only am I scrapbooking and can't see how it won't be a part of my life for years but am looking forward to developing more media around it and getting newbies to try it. Sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees. What an interesting year 2006 has been. I hope I don't look back on it as a big mass of sunrise obstruction and look at all the individual occurances instead. That adds much more texture to the picture. :0)

One of the fun things I did this week was write an article for Scrapbook Retailer magazine about men and scrapbooking. It won't come out until June / July and I can't really post it but I can put up an un cropped, untouched picture for the article.

What have you done in '06 and what are you looking at in '07?

9 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, Blogger Christine Smith said...

ooo, I ALMOST photographed the sunrise this morning also but I got distracted by others stuff LOL GREAT shot!

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Juel said...

For '06 I learned more about myself and who I am as a scrapbooker. This lead to me having more confidence in myself and being able to submit my work for a design team.

In '07 I want to submit artwork to CK and Simple Scrapbooks for the first time.

Can we still send you layouts to have you use them in the future?

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger EquineSpirit said...

OMGosh!! That's a GORGEOUS photograph!

 
At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photo Wes...can't wait to read the article. Will I be seeing you at CHA???

Hope so

peace
Kim

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger wes said...

Juel,

I would love to receive any layout you'd like to send. I've been collecting them since the premiere and try to bring them with me for events like this one. It's powerful for people to look at so many different styles and stories side by side in one place. It compells people to either try cropping or go home and do it some more. I'm very grateful people have shared so much of their time and resources!

Kim,

Still not sure about CHA. I'll be just coming back from overseas and needing to edit footage ASAP. It would be fun to catch up with some people and check in with a couple vendors, not to mention the whole world's biggest scrapbook thing. It would be worth going just to walk into the giant room and try to comprehend the massiveness of everything. :0)

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger wes said...

Hey Kim,

Good Grief... you are on everybody's blog! I'm honored. :0)

I Googled your name + scrapbooking to see what company / group you were with because I remember your name from posting in the past. The whole first page is you posting on scrapbook rockstars blogs... Are you a scrapbook gossip columnist? Any new dirt for us? Maybe incriminating pictures of Christine up here on the top?

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Christine Smith said...

hey wes! cathy z's blog is back!! http://cathyzielske.typepad.com/

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger wes said...

Yeah, I gave her some crap about that.

First day back on a blog and she has 237 responses. What a rock star. :0)

Thankfully with 5-7 responses I can afford to respond to people who respond to me.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are so a rock star Wes. I'm sorry I wasn't able to send you layouts, my daughter and I are just getting over the flu of all flus (just in time for me to have to go back to work)
Hope you will post about your new project. If you stop by Japan you can pick up an original Craft Robo
http://craftrobo.jp/index.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home