Friday, January 26, 2007

mislocated worker




Panera is packed but I think it's safe to say I'm the only guy here reading the new "baby issue" of Simple Scrapbooks. It's been six years since I pulled up the nasty carpet in our living room, dining room, two bedrooms and hallway and we're just now getting around to refinishing the wood floors. We're in the polyurathane stage and the whole house is stinky. I've tried working a couple hours at a time there but my throat gets burny so I escape to islands of free online access and pick up where I left of.

Here I am taking a break from emails and spreadsheets reading about Cathy Zielske's latest design tips and a "peek inside Donna Downey's studio." Some immediate differences I see between her studio and mine is that I have three computers and a laptop. It's a geek thing. One for editing, 2 terrabytes worth of backup server, a PC for testing and building web stuff for non Mac environments, blah blah blah. I also don't see drums, a bass and a Telecaster. I have a pretty big set of steer horns on my wall that I have to think would go swimmingly in her workspace and a full bar for emergencies and creative breakthroughs. I also happen to have a fantastic semi automatic Benelli 12 gauge I got for Christmas. I'll post pictures of my studio if you're interested since it won't be in publication any time soon. Other than that, I think we've got a lot in common and would love to meet her some day.

7 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger dflygirl said...

Wes

You are such a riot!!! I would love to see your studio. I have meet Donna Downey, actually last weekend, I drove down to Portland OR to take a couple of classes from her...she's a hoot...but so are you!!!!

Glad to see you are back from your trip!!!

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome home, sorry it doesn't smell nicer. You have to post your studio! Though you will never find guns in my scrap space, a Starbucks bar would be great : )

Where are you going to be at CHA? My upline and friend from TLC asked what we wanted her to look at for us at CHA and I told her to find you : )

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger EquineSpirit said...

Photos of your studio would be awesome to see!!

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Minda and I did that...pulled up the carpets, then studied the floors for 3 years before doing anything (85 year-old thin-strip maple, very nice).
Since I have to share Minda's scrapbook studio, not to mention Andrew's homeschool room, I can't put any guns in it. But if I could, I have a nice Ruger P-85 nickel finish 9mm...(it's a guy scrapbooker thing!)

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger mindakms said...

1) Your studio sounds GREAT, especially the full bar for inspiration and emergencies
2) Your studio SHOULD be in a magazine, I'm so tired of the 25,000 redo with $50,000 worth of free scrapping supplies they received for being so cool.
3) CZ's studio is closer to yours than Donna's
4) I laughed out loud when thinking of you reading the SS Baby issue at Panera's.
5) I think you and Scott should put your heads together and find ways to financially rock the men's scrapping world. Its TOTALLY untapped!

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger mindakms said...

by the way, DD will be at scrapbooks too in march or april. www.scrapbookstoo.com, you should sign up for a class and steal all her attention!

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger BuckeySandy said...

Wes -- post your creative space again please!!! I remember your early views of it, cross between a garage a workshop and computer lab, but be careful, Bill just asked me if I wanted a 2 terabyte server for the network he wants to create for us.

Guns as scrapping tools, you were supposed to finish more of that "gag" album from the movie, did you yet???

Inquiring minds want to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home