Monday, December 10, 2007

fresh frozen fish


Saturday I was helping a friend of mine who does a lot of outdoor commercial work do a potential spot for Berkley fishing lures ( and the million other things they make. ) He was the camera guy, I was the tech and digital acquisition. It was in HD so there's a lot of large clunky files to move off the camera and format in Final Cut Pro, etc.


There were some wonderful firsts for my life that day. I've never set up my computer and video gear in a bait shop before. What a hoot. I had a microwave, coffee maker, minnows and a 120 pound stuffed sturgeon share my desk. I also had never seen anyone fish a river with an ambient air temperature of zero degrees Fahrenheit ( -18 degrees Celsius.)


During the few hours we were there four boats launched and fished for Walleyes on the mighty Mississippi. One guy commented that he usually doesn't like fishing when the air temperature is drastically less than the water temp. I can see his point.


People seemed to bring their beater aluminum boats because there were large chunks of ice floating around waiting to crack a glittery bass boat. The idea for the commercial was supposed to be inclement weather with snow, wind, etc. but it quickly got to cold to snow so the guy driving the boat had to go out on the river and whip the boat around to look like it was being tossed in a storm. A bit hair raising after looking at the footage but in the end we got some great images and no one died of hypothermia. That's a good day of fishing.

4 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger Virginia said...

I check out your blog, thanks to my friend, Emily Adams. It is fun to see all of the interesting gigs you have! You just seem to roll with it all, so laid back! Thanks for sharing all of your adventures!

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger wes said...

Hi Virginia! Thanks for checking things out. That's funny that I might sound laid back in the blog because I usually think I sound whiney... this is a challenge, that's a challenge, etc.

Love your name, love Emily Adams! Loving the love from Texas!

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

ok i will not say how cold i am in california any more this week, it is at least in the 50's-60's most of the day.
hope the storms don't hit you too bad.
Stay warm :)

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Christine Smith said...

dude, you GOTTA love MN, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home