Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Business and Pleasure



Went out to NYC to meet with a company that has interest in helping me get the word out about the project. Great people, great ideas. Loved NYC ( Duh! ) but was reminded of the creeping feeling that this whole movie business is a personal challenge for me.

I like the business end of things, geeking out over equipment, shooting, editing, meeting people, hearing their stories and fitting things together to try and tell one of my own. I'm pretty much caught in the trap of most people that get wrapped up in: they embrace the talk, gear and external conditions of a topic but don't internalize it and make it their own. I have been learning about scrapbooking tools, skills, styles, and pretty much everything except actually pounding through making a few books myself. I've been stalling because I'm a big chicken. A friend of mine sent me a link today to another fantastic "professional" scrapbooker and I am faced with the fact that my comfort zone is video production and I suck at layout and design. I know EXACTLY how some of these ladies feel about not going to crops because they don't feel like they have enough skills, good enough pictures or stories, etc. I know you don't just roll out of bed in the morning and become good at expressing yourself or artistic stuff and I've heard a million times to just start doing it and who cares what it looks like but it really is a challenge when it's YOU with YOUR stuff.

The good news is I don't have the pressure of being a "good mother" that many of these women feel. I've heard many say they feel obigated to document their kids lives and the pressure of keeping with it as they grow. I've got nothing to prove really and people have the expectation I'm an idiot and screw off so anything actually collected on a page is progress. :0)

Well, that's the whole point of the story is to do it myself and see what it's really like... so here goes.

3 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger mindakms said...

I find that the scrapbooking I'm "supposed" to do is the scrapbooking that never gets done. But that is now and you are talking about my "then". I found the best way to go from desire to skill was to use a technique that has been in place for hundreds of years in the art world - emulation. Copy the great ones and their secrets will enter your soul and soon you won't be able to avoid creation. And you have a huge leg up over most beginners: you know how to find your voice and tell a story. The pretty bits are so secondary to the tale you were born to tell.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a great blog! i have bookmarked you to help keep me up-to-date on the movie. i have talked to the ladies at my LSS about getting the movie to St. Louis, so we will see!!

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger wes said...

What a bunch of smarties you guys are! What the heck was I thinking? Everybody knows I'm new at this and that I'll be a complete hack. :0)

Good words, keep it simple, prime the creative pump by croplifting and done is better than perfect.

Thanks guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home