Saturday, April 22, 2006

Shut In


Beautiful Day Today!

A welcome sunny Saturday and I'm stuck in the studio encoding and logging tapes from the shoot last week. The big shiny new HVX200 camera I went into hock and sold off my other gear for is making some goofy noises so I'm having to put other interviews on hold. DOH! I hope it can get serviced soon because I have a ticket and car booked to head out to LA and get an interview with Rhonda Anderson on faithbooking and with a couple rowdy metal head teenagers that scrapbook. I'm already strapped for cash and can't afford to rent a camera AND pay to get the one I bought serviced. The trip itself was never in the budget. Rhonda was scheduled to come up to Minnesota for some other interviews and I was going to grab her then or possibly piggy back her interview on a weekend I might be helping out with another project in LA anyway. Neither happened so off I go financed once again by the American Express and Visa corporation.

Good thing: I was able to pick up a screamin deal on two 500 gig Seagate Serial ATA100 drives: $279 apiece! So now I have enough space in the editing computer itself to hold much of the project plus an 800 speed 800 gig firewire drive to hold this pig of a project. Almost two terrabytles of storage sounds like a lot until you figure in 10 - 12 hours of footage each from two cameras in DVCPRO50 format plus some of the slo mo stuff I shot in HD is sucking up twice as much space, then there's rendered files, the 40 gigs of stills we have so far ( still not done shooting yet ) plus the compositiong, special effects, soundtrack, MPG2 files for DVD, etc. etc. It get's eaten up fast. So here I am with the old drives ( about 500 gigs for both ) to load into my old PC as a network storage device for backing up the raw project files. Oh Happy Day!http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif

Bad news: It REALLY nice out and because of a tight budget I need to rent my $250 / day deck to get footage into the computer on the weekend so I can work for 20 - 22 hours combing through footage and encoding it ( have to do it real time ) and only get charged a one day rate because the rental house isn't open on Sat. / Sun. Rent it Friday afternoon, drop it off Monday morning, one day rate. Everybody in my league does it because any media project is always scraping by... so no time off this weekend but hey, saving $250 is a flight out to LA.

Another good thing: An article I wrote for "The Lutheran Ambassador" made it into my mailbox today. I've scanned it and posted a .pdf of it if you want to read it. I'm very surprised they gave me 4 pages and put it right up front.

Download the Article here.

wes

1 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger nancy_scraps said...

Cool Article, Wes.

Love the fact you got Seagate drives, also. (I work for Seagate. And no, I can't get you any more drives for free...)

I'm following your blog and awaiting the "documentary". I'm an avid scrapper and my husband loved your "trailers". He is not a scrapper and doesn't understand it all....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home