Sunday, April 16, 2006

Thinking to Much



Here's a piece of a post I made in a two peas message board thread. I was just thinking out loud and asking questions. Maybe too many questions but that's my job in piecing together a movie. I should also mention I'm uncomfortable calling Scrapped a movie because I don't want to set up expectations of some multi million dollar visual piece of art. It's a documentary and I'm just a hack. ;0)

" I'm starting to see some under emphasized areas of scrapbooking. One is getting even more creative with the actual photographs, that is getting creative with the composition and colors, lines and textures. I'm a photoshop junkie and have been since version 2.0 over a dozen years ago. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in all the colors, patterns and stickers and assemble a treatment around a photo. Ladies: Feel free to go berzerk in getting even more creative in the photo itself. I see so much amazing framing, angles, etc. in personal photos. Why is so much of the commercial scrapbooking world so conservative in the actual photos they use in articles, books and products? Good grief, scrappers are getting into sepia tones, bold statements in photography, etc. Why not get a little more edgy in representing them? Look at how much stylized photography goes into car ads, picture boards advertising departments at Target, TV program and movie ads. Scrapbookers are extremely creative people. They can handle some edginess outside of the safe marketing campaigns!

Whew, sorry. I'm a getting a little chatty and probably not presenting an articulate, big picture argument for my hypothesis but the deeper I go into this industry and talk with the corporate and end user worlds the more I have ideas about scrapbooking being even bigger, more personal, more creative and more fun than it already is. Maybe hard to imagine huh? Think of it this way, you guys are artists and authors. I get fired up thinking about what scrapbooks by Andy Warhol, John Steinbeck, Georgia O'Keefe and even Hellen Keller might look and read like. Think about Leanardo DaVinci, he kept scrapbooks right? He has volumes of his thoughts and drawings, struggles and successes all jotted down in journals. In some ways a younger generation is catching on to the concept of them having a voice to the world through technology on the internet like myspace, blogs, etc. but my fear is that they're constantly moving at a faster pace of information assimilation, a diminished awareness of permanence, ability to judge value in some information and discard worthless, incorrect or unhealthy infomration since it can have an equal voice on a level playing field these days. Maybe scrapbooks are exactly what our kids need in a way bigger than we might see?"

Happy Easter!

wes

3 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger wes said...

Hey Lou,

Oh man I hope so! Connie ( my wife ) and I have good friends in Brisbane, Boonah and Hobart and have been dying for a holiday out to Oz for a long time. I think next year is the time to do it. Maybe this movie thing will be a motivator.

I hit a couple links from your blog and was very impressed with all the pictures, fun people and stories. Yanks are WAY to stuck on themselves sometimes. I miss Australia, lived there a couple years, and really appreciate the culture, rowdiness and lack of people being up themselves...

wes

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

thought this link might interest you
http://www.idreamofscrapping.com/IDOS178.html

If Mark Twain can keep scrapbooks than a biker like you can too : )

http://www.pbs.org/marktwain/scrapbook/index.html

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I purchased Scrapped when it first came out. I loved it. I have to say my favorite thing was your scrap bag. The Ramones are my all time favorite band and your bag just ROCKED!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home