Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Back out of the Saddle




After weeks of working without a day off, some all nighters and a grand finale of meet and greets I took a break. One of the wierdest things I experienced last weekend was the response to this crazy scrapbooking project. I was very, very happy to meet people,sign autographs and do pictures. I just didn't expect to do it for 5 straight hours on Friday, 3 hours on Saturday and 6 hours on Monday. Literally from the moment the doors opened at showcase until well after they were closed I was under a constant barrage of thousands of people. Fun but draining because I'm not a people person, certainly not touchy feely, got about 4 hours of sleep the couple nights before, had a lot of other things going on, etc. You get the idea.

I wrapped up what I could last week and bailed out of town. I left Saturday at lunchtime for the North Shore of Minnesota and ended up driving all the way around Lake Superior... a little longer.

I was talking with my friend Dave last night about how some people thrive on community and would have really felt encouraged and empowered by so much energy and attention. I had a great premiere with amazing food and beverages and overall a very rewarding weekend. I had a blast but had more fun out in the middle of nowhere by myself eating greasy bar food and getting drenched. The thing that hit me was that I literally just finished up a 1500 mile ride on two lane highways in a full day of freezing rain in Canada, sitting on the wrong bike seat because I didn't swap out my cooler looking slim one with the touring seat the bike came with and woefully underdressed and came back totally recharged and rejuvinated. No people, just airing my head out on the bluffs of this massive body of water. I spent 52 solid hours of driving and sleeping and was ready to take a meeting after unpacking and a shower.

I guess I'm lucky that I have something I love so much and know what I'm good and bad at. Thanks to all the people who have patiently waited for their emails to be returned and looking for info on the website. I'll post pictures of the premiere and the CM showcase later today. I'll also pop up a page online where you can order premiere editions of the Scrapped DVD if you can't possible wait for the public release. I've got some extras I was going to use for promo's but have gotten dozens and dozens of emails of people full of drama apparently going crazy because they can't wait until Sept.

Thanks!

wes

4 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good to see you recharged. I got my posters on Saturday and the movies yesterday. I really enjoyed it and find it so funny that you still have no clue what an amazing project you have started. You are just what the scrapbooking communittee needs to share the true root purposes of scrapbooking with the non scrapbooker and long time scrapper too. Look forward to some pictures later today.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger TheresaXXX said...

Thank you so much for stepping out of your comfort zone and putting up with all of us screaming women at Showcase! It was great to have you there, and your movie is amazing! I'm honored to have met you and I'm having a blast sharing this fantastic film with everyone I know.

Thanks again, and thanks for signing my Scrapbook Monkey! :-)

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger wes said...

Thanks ladies!

I'm glad this thing is connecting with you in some way and I look forward to seeing what it does for scrapbooking in general over the next year or so.

wes

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Between us speaking, I would try to solve this problem itself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home