Thursday, July 27, 2006

build to suit







Went shopping for a suit for premiere night yesterday. Dan my friendly salesman was extremely courteous as I was extremely hot, sweaty and ill tempered. I looked like an unshaven bumb with different lengths of stubble from changing my mind mid way about sideburns. He still marched me over the rack of suits in the $300 - $400 range. Definately a man of optimism. I've taken great joy in finding thrift store suits that are still wool or other fine materials but have an older or retro cut and then just getting them altered. Whammo: instant fashion ( or depeche mode in French for you 80's or French speaking freaks... ) custom tailored for fun at less than $75.

I actually own several suits but between the day we shot at the Delta Phi Scrappa event and now I've lost about 30 pounds and nothing fits anymore. Sure, I look like a ragged individual but I still have a delight in stylish clothes of all sorts. Apparently in the few years since I've bought a suit styles have changed and Dan and I had spirited discussion aboout the length of my jacket sleeves ( I like them shorter, displaying more shirt cuff which is out of fashion ) the length of my trousrs ( which I like lower and is still in fahion but wearing cuffs is reserved for pants with pleated fronts and I like them regardless... ) I had no will power to battle against Dan and eventually my wife so I relented. No cuffs on the slacks. Such high drama in the fashion world... I have become that which repells me: a slave to fashion ( or enforcers of fashion - fashionistas! )

Since I have done nothing but spend money for the last six months with no income and my lovely wife has been supporting my sorry butt, I left a happy man with a spiffy new suit for the premiere and she payed Dan.

wes

6 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Blogger kristina contes said...

Depeche Mode...I thought that meant FAST fashion. And I never got it. But INSTANT. Now it all makes sense. And I love Violator.

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger ScrapsofMe said...

I like the Bermuda look you've got going there...maybe some brighter shorts?

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger wes said...

Brighter shorts?

Never again is what I swore the time before...

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger ScrapsofMe said...

Well, you've got these light grey bermuda length shorts on with the dark grey or nearly black jacket. I was thinking...since it's scrap-related..pink n black or aqua n black are really hot trendy colors...lime green n black too. Wouldn't some cool bermuda shorts in brighter colors look really HOT with that jacket? And pin a Heidi Swapp paper flower to the lapel.
And instead of a SHE pin in the middle of the flower, you need a HE pin. Oh, and a matching grosgrain ribbon belt with a big ole rhinestone buckle! You'd be scrap-stylin' man! Then if you wanted to 'Jimmy Buffett' up the look, a faded baseball cap and some embellished flip flops! (NO bermuda socks...they need to loose that look).

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger mindakms said...

So glad to know you are stressing about what to wear too!

with love,
From one who would rather be attending a tailgate party in a cub foods parking lot....

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This docu-drama looks like it's going to be SOO good! I'm a CM consultant who is NOT going to Showcase and now I wish I were!!!

Can't wait to see the video. This will be really fun to play at my crops!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home