Monday, January 21, 2008

seeing red



RED?! What the heck was I thinking painting my studio red?

I pictured some old traditional library / study somewhere nestled in a castle in a foggy Scottish bog. Problem 1: I didn't want it too dark so I went with a light ( = brighter ) shade of red and 2: this is a modern room with a cove ceiling and slightly round edged corners on the walls. Adding a goldish color for the cover edges didn't help the feeling the circus was in town or an 80's flashback at best. :0)

You get to an "I don't care" stage in a project, if you're lucky it's not until the last bits, where everything fades in importance except completion. Just get it done, done is better than perfect. Red is kind of kooky and I'll take it for now, repaint in 4-5 years when I've got nothing better to do.



The painting was OK. Depressing because I was able to see every little mistake I made drywalling and mudding but nice to see glimpses of a real room. The fun part was wiring this weekend. It's a little geeky, a little technical and maybe I'm just downright childlike about it... building a fort, a hideout, mad scientist labratory - or a studio.


This is the terminal for all the coax, RJ45 and cable whatnot in my house. I've got a SCSI rackmount, hot swappable server sitting on the floor waiting to be installed, wireless junk, routers, switches, distribution amps, on and on. Overkill for a house, marginal for a home office but candy for a cyber geek.

Check out all the Scrapped DVD's sitting in boxes to the left. I should put those bad boys on clearance and liquidate inventory. What would be an appropriate price?


My down time this weekend was soldering up mic connections from the sound booth to the office wall. I popped an elbow CD in the boom box, had a nice slice of chocolate cake and whiffed flux and tin for a couple hours. Ahhh, heaven.


The posted checked out with pretty much no resistance so one more thing checked off the list. Time to cut trim and move stuff across the basement and out of boxes to make some Utopian creative environment.

13 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Blogger Wichterman said...

Do fries come with your studio?
Looking like McDonalds colors ;-)
I'm sure it will look great when it's full of stuff.
I'd like to check it out when you are all done with it.

I've got a 5 or 6 day vacation for riding somewhere this summer any suggestions?
Right now I'm thinking Colorado, I've got a free place to stay and I'd like try riding in the mountains.
I'm going to Sturgis this year also so I'll do the black hills then.
Love to hear some suggestions if you've got 'em.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Sissykidd said...

i hear you on get it done vs perfect.
I am still trying to get the lighting and carpet in mine. feels like it's been forever but really only about 3 month of work here or there, I'm more than ready to be done myself...

as for the red... I have to agree with the last comment and say MCD came to mind.. :)

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Dee G said...

Ah, it's excessively cool, Wes! Love the red. :)

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger wes said...

Wow, so no love on the McDonalds colors huh?

My wife corrected me and said the pictures don't accurately represent the colors. It's more of an orange and tan color. Oh well, it's not going to be re-painted any time soon. I'll just be perpetually hungry while I work.

Paul you biking-beast you. I'm jealous with the road trip thing! Staying with your brother in law in the rockies? Sounds like a great trip. Minnesota's tough because we're on the edge of the prairie so anywhere except east and north east and you run into hours and hours of flat emptiness. That's great for the first 5-6 hours then gets old for me. Especially the return drive. Still fun though!

Other fun rides might be around Lake Superior. It's rugged, open and empty woods once you get past Thunder Bay and beautiful all the way. For shorter rides I like to go to the House on the Rock past the Dells. Not a super long trip but great twisties between the freeway and the destination. For spring and fall riding you can shoot straight south to Texas and warm up, even stop in Branson, Mo for some EEEEEHAWWWW culture and eye candy hillbilly hills.

Co. sounds like a blast though and you can dip into the mountains, the 4 corners area - even South Park!

I read Co. recently passed legislation saying bikes have to have original stock pipes. Crazy huh?

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger ScrapsofMe said...

I LOVE the RED. It looks to me like the colors of red you see at target right now...paired with gold accents...influenced by the Olympics being in Beijing in 2008. It's a very fashionable palette for this year. And once you move all that manly equipment in there it will be a good counterpart to the black n steel n chrome guy stuff. Pamie

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger wes said...

Good call Pam. You're my new best friend!!

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Open Door said...

Cool. Thanks for the suggestions. I've been jumping back and forth between Co. and going around Superior. Maybe I'll do Co. now while I still have stock pipes and Superior next year. The original idea was to go from here to Vegas with as little interstate as possible but when I started to map it out as a trip I realized that it would take more days than I have to spare. Oh well. It'll happen some day.

What's the flat out best run you've ever done? (In the states)

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Open Door said...

D'oh I'm signed in as Open Door not Wichterman! Oh Well.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Juel said...

Wes, I love the red. After my older girls graduated highschool, DH and I made thier room into the music room. Each wall is a differant color, one red, one colbalt blue, and one a med. olive green. Then the long wall has both the red and blue on it. On the left side of the we started out wide and went to a point on the right side of the wall. Cool effect, loud but good. After all it is a Loud room for music.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If it was my room I would use the red as an undercoat for a paint treatment since you said you can see every problem with the dry wall. Get a deep red and a ton of plastic bags and you can do a cool leather look in less then a day. Just a thought :)
On the Scrapped dvd's how about $15 and a 3 for $30 deal? I also think a His & Hers set with Brethren would be super cool :
)

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger wes said...

Hey Wichterman / Open Door. Last fall I hit four states in one day which doesn't sounds like a lot considering you can nick the corner of states or go to the east coast and chew through 6-7 in a day easy because they're so small.

I did my Iron Butt qualification ride of 1,000 miles in 24 hours ( about 18 hours ) from the Santa Monica pier to Denver Colorado. Not the best choice for an endurance ride. I had 115 degrees in the desert and 38 degrees at the continental divide around 11pm. There were too many tight mountain roads plugged with semis where I lost time and had to catch up in the open and barren parts of Utah. Good time all around though.

We've got to go riding man!

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger wes said...

Juel and Melissa.

You're right! I've gotta go to work now but Rock on with the music room colors and his and hers sets sound great on the DVD's.

Ahh the love here on blogger! Thanks for posting!

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Tina Vega said...

I was just getting a post ready to link my bloggy ladies to your super cool movie. Clearance? I hope not!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home